Hey there amigos (friends)!
Here’s a round up of upcoming events for what’s left of July and next month August.
High Bridge Festival – Also don’t forget to attend the High Bridge Festival* today from 12:00 pm until 4:00 pm. It will be a fun way to spend the day with family and friends. Maybe even make new friends along the way.
*Plus a special SummerStage performance by Jose Peña Suazo y La Banda Gorda at 7:00 p.m.
The City Museum of New York and El Museo del Barrio presents Uptown Bounce every Wednesday until August 12th. From 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm and it’s FREE. So get ready for gallery talks and breakdancing.
Harlem is full of diversity! And what better way to celebrate it’s rich culture than by going to the Giglio Di Sant’ Antonio Festival in East Harlem. So come and enjoy a meraviglioso (wonderful in Italian) time.
Ciao (bye) for now
This past Thursday, I had the opportunity to visit Seasoned Vegan and it was unbelievable. I met with the founder Aaron Beener. We spoke about the restaurant’s future and the goals are set high. Aaron mentioned that he would like to expand Seasoned Vegan’s services into “packaging” distribution. Within one year, Seasoned Vegan has recruited clients from as far as Atlantic City to Brooklyn and locals. Be sure to check out their website and social media platforms.
- Chicken and Pancakes (chicken is soybean based)
- Chicken nuggets (my personal favorite)
- Stuffed avocados
- Pecan Chocolate Cookies
- Powerful Soul Smoothie
- Strawberry Heaven Smoothie
I must stress everything is 100% vegan and extremely delicious. Possibly 100% addictive too!
Remember to check out their upcoming event!
Dyson Media & GMG Presents:
The Sounds of Jazz and R&B Classic Soul, Sunday, June 28, 2015 (4pm-9pm)
SEASONED VEGAN @ 55 Saint Nicholas Avene, (southwest corner of 113th Street)
HOUSE MENU, MENU ITEMS ARE ORGANIC & 100% VEGAN (NUTRITIONAL SMOOTHIES) **NO COVER**
Be sure to check out Kristian Glynn’s art exhibit in Gitler&_____ at 3629 Broadway (b/w 149th and 150th). He’s work is truly amazing. This will be Glynn’s second part of his installation. Titled And Again Another Crippling Love Story: Part 2. Starts this June 16, 2015 until July 20, 2015. To learn more about Glynn’s work visit http://www.kristianglynn.com. To learn about the local art gallery visit http://gitlerand.com.
High Bridge Festival– the High Bridge is officially celebrating its grand re-opening with an outdoor event for all. So get ready for music, art, and even a scavenger hunt! Plus it’s free. This Saturday, July 25, 2015. See you there. For more info click here.
Opening Night Party– Celebrating the Harlem Arts Festival 2015. With live performances, drinks, delicious food, friends (new & old), and a great atmosphere. For further details check out their Facebook event page.
Location: 310 Lenox Ave New York, New York 10027
Date: June 26, 2015 7:00 pm until 1:00 am.
Verano 20K15 presented by DRC Entertainment NYC– So maybe you want to explore an event outside from Harlem. I’ve got you covered check out the Battle of DJs in Queens. What’s best, are the free drinks from 9:00 pm until 10:00 pm. Check out this page for information. Be there this June 26, 2015. Have further questions call the phone lines below.
Special guests include Ian Begley, Greg Hrinya, and Scott Machado. The event will be hosted by Derrel Johnson. Happy Father’s Day to all the Harlem Dads!
Looking for a fun time this Tuesday, June 9th? You’re in luck because Harlem Shake has prepared an event for you. So take a friend along and join us this Tuesday.
Ok so you’re probably wondering what the title means. Don’t google it just yet. Technically it’s not Spanish, it’s Spanglish (a combination of Spanish and English). It’s more of a phrase used to say let’s go to the party. So event enthusiasts like myself will want to know what’s happening in Harlem. Well you’re going to be glad I found these events. I have something for everyone from art buffs to festival goers. I’ll be adding more events so follow my blog to be in the know.
- Join Mano a Mano: Mexican Culture without Borders for the Gran Fandago. It’s a festival celebrating Mexican traditions here in NYC. Location: 550 west 155th street, New York, NY 10032 When: May 23, 2015 at 6:00pm. Check out their Facebook here.
- Coming Soon to El Barrio’s waterfront! Public Art Banner by the Harlem Waterfront. This installation will be provided by NYC Parks’ Temporary Public Art Program. The light graffiti art will be displayed this Summer 2015. For more information on the artist DaSilva and this project visit http://www.nycgovparks.org/art/
- Get ready for Summer on the Hudson events! Every week the West Harlem Piers Park will be hosting different events from dance classes to yoga classes. A bonus is that you’ll have an amazing view of the Hudson River and New Jersey. Plus you can stop at Fairway to check off grocery shopping from your to-do list. Up coming events events include Harlem Swing Dance Society: Swing classes and The Hoop Movement presents hoop dance. For further details visit http://www.nycgovparks.org/events
- Art Stoll in Harlem and Washingto Heights. A month long celebration of art events presented by The Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance. One of the events is the 6th Annual NYC Multicultural Festival on May 30, 2015 from 12:00 pm until 7:00pm. In St. Nicholas Avenue between West 141 & West 145 Street, New York, NY 10031. For more information visit http://www.artstroll.com
- Serafina restaurant is coming to Harlem. Known for their pasta and pizza, Serafina is opening a new location in NYC. Instead of going to our usual downtown neighborhoods, they decided to go uptown. Their grand opening will be May 20,2015 at 1260 Amsterdam on 122 street. http://harlem.serafinarestaurant.com
That’s all for now folks! Stay tune for more events.
Sunday I was lucky enough to step into this lovely small restaurant at 3431 Broadway New York, NY 10031. I’ve seen great reviews on it in Yelp. So I gathered some courage and walked in. Mine you I pass this restaurant every day and not once have I walked in. Everytime I passed it, they had people waiting to enter.
Anyhow, I highly recommend their sangria. If you’ve never tried a sangria it’s basically red wine with fruits and a hint of brandy. I also love that they have vegetarian options. Mainly because I’m a vegetarian and it’s difficult to find accommodating menus. I enjoyed my vegan portobello burger and the fries were crispy.
As for my meat mates that went with me, they loved their buffalo chicken wings and spaghetti seafood fra diavolo.
Some fun facts about Trufa:
- Opened in 2011
- It is owned by Ecuadorians
- Serving only the best Italian cuisine
- Have outstanding customer service
- Great for couples and smaller groups
Check them out here.